Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales Part A

For my reading notes, I examined the Celtic chapter of the unit and was astonished by the stories that were posted. I thought it was quite different from the previous units we studied so I carefully selected a few books in the chapter that caught my interest. The stories in the unit are written by Joseph Jacobs.

The Shepherd of Myddvai

  • This story starts out with a man in search of love and decides to visit a lake in his town.
  • At this lake, he encounters three sisters who were very beautiful. He then had personal encounters with each of the three sisters.
  • He had brought them bread but each made out of different textures and eventually, the last sister accepted the bread that the man had brought them. 
  • I think this story is one that I could incorporate into my own adaptation because the elements that are mentioned in the story are mixed with humor and, in a sense, tragedy because the sister eventually leaves the man after giving him three chances not to lay a hand on her.
  • My story could center on a man who is also looking for love and happens to come across a well that is a notorious place that three women come out of if a man were to bring them the right piece of jewelry. Once the guy presents the jewelry to her, they marry and eventually the jewelry causes her to act out of the ordinary which could lead her to eventually leave the man and take everything he owns.

The Sprightly Tailor

  • This story was also pretty unique because it kind of makes you sympathize with the tailor but then you begin to feel happy for the tailor as he was rewarded in the end.
  • I could write this story in my own way surrounding a tailor trying to stitch the perfect piece of clothing.
  • The characters I would want in the story would serve as a tool to make the main character look more like a protagonist in the story.
                                      
                                                
                                                                                 Tailor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12 Story: The Tale of O'Reilly

Introduction to a Social Introvert